What is domain name?
Domain names are used to identify one or more IP addresses. For example, the domain name microsoft.com represents about a dozen IP addresses. Domain names are used in URLs to identify particular Web pages.
Every domain name has a suffix that indicates which top level domain (TLD) it belongs to. There are only a limited number of such domains.
. gov – Government agencies
.edu – Educational institutions
.org – Organizations (nonprofit) – Third Most Popular
.mil – Military
.com – commercial business -1 – Most Popular
.net – Network organizations-2 – Second Most Popular
.ca – Canada
.th – Thailand
Because the Internet is based on IP addresses, a not domain name, every Web server requires a Domain Name System (DNS) server to translate domain names into IP addresses.
- Increases your name recognition
- Makes it easy for your customers to remember your address
- Indicates you are a serious Internet player
- Helps brand your image
- Adds a level of trust and integrity to your site
- Many search engines refuse to list pages from free sites
- Some search engines will only index the first page of a domain site
- Domain names containing ‘keywords’ aid in higher search engine ranking
- Allows you to use your domain address (www.yourname.com) and virtual email addresses (firstname.lastname@example.org) on your business cards and letterhead
- Avoids somebody else from registering the name you want.
- Lets you change your current email provider and still keep the same email address
- Protects your Internet advertising investment from failure of your Internet Service Provider
Since the Internet began, IP addresses have been ways of online identification, but although IPs were and are still fundamental to the way Internet works, there was a need to create a more user-friendly way of identification, and that’s when domain names were born.Due to the Internet’s widespread commercialization and expansion, the demand for domain names is growing yearly, therefore a market created for buying and selling from this naming system is now firmly rooted, continues it’s remarkable growth and there is no end for it, it’s here to stay. Nowadays, registering a domain name can be compared to having our own business card. It can reveal so much about us and our website at prima facie, that isn’t far from being our own personal card of presentation.
If you are thinking about buying a domain name, you may have a slight idea of what it is and how it works, but most people don’t. If you don’t understand much about the subject but feel in need of giving yourself or business a unique identity on the web, this infographic is for you. Here we have tried to provide a clear and easy comprehension of what a domain name is and explain some facts about the growing market.The Basic Anatomy of a URLAs we know, a URL defines a website. Most of us are familiar with its format, but how is it composed? If we break up the anatomy of a URL into parts we will find that most of them have a third level domain, a second level domain and a top level domain (TLD) in it.
The Third Level Domain is the highest level domain names and it is situated left of the Second Level Domain. This part of the domain name is not always required, because a functional domain may be composed of just a Second Level Domain and a Top Level Domain.
A Second Level Domain is the part of a domain name that is located next to the Top Level Domain (TLD), prior the final dot in a URL. It identifies the administrative owner associated with an IP address.The Top Level Domain, also known as TLD, is the last part of the domain name. It is located immediately following the final dot in a URL. For example, in the URL www.domain.com, the extension .com is the TLD.
At the same time, these TLDs are further subdivided into General Top Level Domain Names and Country Code Top Level Domains. On the one hand gTLDs are those extensions known as .com, .org, .gov, .net, and on the other hand, ccTLDs are those that identify a country, sovereign state or dependent territory, and are reserved strictly for their use.
Domain Name Registrars Market Share
At this particular, GoDaddy, accounting a total of 31,2% of registered domains, is the leading company for domain name registrar followed by Enom, which carries an 8,1% and Network Solution with a 7,7%. Also we find other companies with a lower but significant market share in the domain name world such as Tucows and Schlund-Partner.
The Current 22 gTLDs
- .com gTLD is often but not exclusively used for commercial sites.
- .org was created to be used by organizations but still is unrestricted.
- .edu gTLD is used for education sites.
- .int is for International Institution sites.
- .net is a domain for administrative sites.
- .gov is exclusively used for government sites.
Next we find the .mil gTLD that was introduced in the domain name market in the year 1996, and it is used for military websites URLs. Later, between the years 2001 and 2007, other TLDs entered the market and these are: .museum, .info, .coop, .name, .aero, .biz, .pro, .travel, .mobi, .tel, .jobs, .cat, each named after its intended use. In 2012 we met the .post suffix available only for the postal service sector.
Newer gTLDs have been presented to the market in the past year, yet there are 693 to be launched. In the top of the list we find .xyz gTLD with 990 thousand domains. The reason why this new generation of domain is getting so popular is because it’s considered easy to remember and that transcends all language barriers. The .science as well has entered the market, and until now it has 311 thousand domains. At the same time, other new gTLDs such as: .club, .party, .wang, .top, .link, .realtor and .website, all of them with more than 100 thousand domains.
Domain Names Growth
Knowing the importance of the domain market nowadays, several studies have been made, showing as result that, as for today, there are 288 million registered domain names managed by 58 million unique domain owners, were there’s a considered inequality since 77% of the owners are men and the remaining 23% are women. Seen from another spot, 74% of owners are individuals and the other 26% belongs to corporate owners.
Largest TLDs by Zone Size
Despite the increase of domain names, the largest TLDs by zone have not changed much, and they are ordered in this way:
- .com with 117 million.
- .net with 14,9 million.
- .org with 10,5 million.
- .info with 5,2 million.
- .biz with 2,3 million.
- .us with 1,7 million.
- .mobi with 0,75 million.
- .asia with 0,25 million.
- .name with 0,17 million.
- .tel with 0,12 million.
By Step To Step You Can Become Domain Buyer and Seller Expert
1. How To Earn Money Online by Sell Domain- A -Z Tutorial | Best Way To earn money With Huge Profit
2.Top 30 Most Expensive Domain Ever Sold | Best Way To earn money With Huge Profit
3.12 Tips for selection of great domain name | Best Way To earn money With Huge Profit
4.Determining The Value of Your Domain Names | Best Way To earn money With Huge Profit
5.Top 5 Cheap Domain Registrars in 2016 | Best Way To earn money With Huge Profit
6.Top 5 Domain Name Suggestion Tools | Best Way To earn money With Huge Profit
7.Top 10 List of Domain Name Backorder Services | Best Way To earn money With Huge Profit
8.Top 10 Best Marketplaces To Find And Buy Completely Expired Domains
9.How to sell your domain name and make money?
10.10 things you MUST know before you register domain with anyone
11.Top 10 Places To Sell Your Domain Names | Best Way To earn money With Huge Profit